Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Funny sibling rivalry

Just tonight, we were nagging Hunter and Andy about cleaning up the clothes in their floors, finishing their homework, etc.  We didn't realize that Ryan was quietly soaking it all in.  He finally started saying things like, "Am I the best kid?"  "I never get in trouble, do I?" "I'm always a helper!"  "Do you love me the most?"
Ahhh the joy of sibling rivalry!  Finally in a last ditch effort to prove that he must be the best, most-loved child, he ran to my bedroom with his little vaccuum cleaner.  He called me to the room and said, "Look Mom, I am the best because I am cleaning your room."  I couldn't help but laugh at the sight of him vaccuuming my hardwood floor.


His actions tonight made me think about my relationship with God.  I often fall into this trap of trying so hard  to do things that make me think I can "earn" God's favor.  I always fall short, because I am human.  There is no way that I can do enough good to outweigh my many mistakes.  I must sound like a little child telling God, "Look, see what I did; Do you love me the most now?" Thankfully, I don't have to earn God's love.  That's where grace comes into the picture. (Eph. 2:8)  G.R.A.C.E. (God's redemption at Christ's expense)
Good works are just that...good, but they are not going to help us earn salvation or God's love.  It is a gift that we just have to embrace.  As I read the next verse from Ephesians, I  understand why.  If we could earn salvation through our good works, our human nature would be to pat ourselves on the back and marvel at how great we are. It is hard for me to imagine that God could love me just the way I am, imperfections and all, but the Bible tells me that he does.  God's love transcends any human definition of love.  When our lives are in tune with Him, and we are nurturing that love relationship that He longs to have with us, we will bear the fruit of good works that can only come from unpure motives. 

Ephesians 2:8,9 "For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God.  Not of works, lest any man should boast."

Colossians 1:10 "That ye might walk worthy of the Lord, unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God."

No comments:

Post a Comment